Maca Board Meeting Minutes


Kennedy Senior Center, Natick, Mass

Minutes Prepared by Mark Kaprielian, Clerk

Opened: 7:40 PM


Closed: 10:12 PM


Board Members




Guests Present


Robert King


7:45 PM


Tim Oliveri, 7:30 to 9:20


Steve Frymer






Bob Messenger






Mark Kaprielian






Stephen Dann






Larry Eldridge






Tony Gavelis






Gus Gosselin


7:55 PM




Peter Lee






















   Note:  All vote tallies are shown as   For – Against – Abstention, e.g.  5 – 2 – 1      

President’s Report

            President Robert King greeted those present and proceeded with the meeting.


Motion_2001-07_ 1

            Eldridge, Frymer 2nd

To approve the minutes of the June 13, 2001 meeting as amended.

Passed:   7 – 0 – 1

Treasurer’s Report

            Financial summaries were distributed by the Treasurer and reviewed by the Board.

            In answer to a question, it was estimated that the per magazine cost of CH for the last year worked out to $2 an issue for the total printed.

Tournament Coordinator’s Report

            Bob Messenger reported the TLA for the GBO has been submitted and there being no objections at this meeting, no changes will be made.

            The Danvers Open maybe held on October 20th at the traditional site pending the date being cleared with site.  A draft TLA will be created and circulated to the board for their review.

Scholastic Coordinator’s Report

            Tony Gavelis reported the scholastics committee has created a schedule for the upcoming year and now presents it to the board for their comment.

1.    Fall Foliage Fest, October 21, 2001 at Sage School in Foxboro, MA.  This is the kick-off event for the school year.  It is not a qualifier.

2.    MA qualifier I, November 18, 2001, St. Johns High School, 378 Main St., Shrewsbury.

3.    MA qualifier II, Mid January, most likely 13th.  Site in central or western MA. This will be run by WMCA.  (Ed Kostreba & Bill Nolte)

4.    MA qualifier III, February 2, 2002, site t.b.a.  (JFK Middle School, Natick or Milton Academy, Milton)

5.    MA State Singles Championship and the concurrently run Gus Gosselin Grade Championship, March 10, 2002 (JFK Middle School, Natick or Milton Academy, Milton)

6.    Hurwitz/MA State Team Championship, April 7, 2002, site t.b.a.

            Discussion of the dates was held an generally agreed that there was nothing to be done to improve the selections as the private school vacations do not occur at the same time and the private schools and public schools also do not align either.  With this in mind, the committees recommended dates stand.

            A search is still under way for a site for the State Team Championships.  Based on an attendance of approximately 240 players last year, a site that can accommodate 300 needs to be found.  It was also emphasized that for the scholastics events, it is not only the players that must be accommodated.  The parents need to be accounted for and the availability of on-site or nearby food is an important consideration.  While events often inform parents to bring a lunch, they much prefer to have food on site and accommodations for consuming it.

Publications Coordinator.

            Stephen Dann reported that he has been holding discussion with the Chess Horizons Editor, Mark Donlan about a wide range of topics, including and not limited to the following items:

1.    That the CH Editor has said that publishing of 4, 5 or 6 issues is do-able should we desire to change from our current policy of 4 issues per year.

2.    Going to a Bond Wrap and News Print type of paper will save $1000 per issue if we are willing to step back to that level of paper quality.

3.    That the continued improvements in the magazine are in part due to the Editors continuing acclimation to the publication software and the production cycle.

4.    The inclusion of the US Open Ad that was added after the draft was returned from the printer cost us somewhere between $200 and $500.

5.    Investigations of additional cost reducing steps are still ongoing.

Database Coordinator.

            Mark Kaprielian reported that there have been no more than a dozen renewals since the previous board meeting.  He said that it should be noted that renewals occur primarily when our events are held.

Board Vacancies

            Tim Oliveri, who had been approached to join the board as indicated in the last meetings minutes, was present and spoke of his interest in joining the board.

Motion_2001-07_ 1

            King, Gosselin 2nd

To appoint Tim Oliveri to the Maca Board.

Passed:  9 – 0 – 0

US Open

            Steve Frymer reported that there are approximately 300 advance entries for the US Open so far.  Hotel rooms are filling up and bringing down the cost of the event.

            Steve reported that Diane Reese who does the bulk of the co-coordinating for the event has informed him that she has not as yet received the signed contract.

            Steve will email her and inform her that the contract was sent in almost four weeks ago and that if she cannot locate it, we will send another copy to her.

            Steve emphasized that we need to continue to find volunteers for the event.  It was agreed that Steve would created a list of specific volunteer opportunities and send them to the Web Master for posting on the web site and distribution by way of the Maca News List.

            Maca stands to make $6 per player for their support of the US Open.

Credit Card service

            A discussion was held on the subject of Maca contracting for service to allow us to process credit cards.  Bob Messenger and Stephen Dann will both research the topic.  Bob will contact our current bank to see if they will provide this service for us.  Mark Kaprielian mentioned that inquires should also ask about the “Internet Piece” as well.  Several years ago when Mark did similar research for a different organization, Credit card service was divided into two parts and not all services provide capabilities for both the standard card processing and internet based processing.

Fund Raiser/Ad Manager

            A discussion was held on the subject of our reaching an agreement with Maryann Rielly to do Fund Raising for Maca at a commission of 10%.  A question was raised regarding the need for a fundraiser to have qualifications, as fund raising may be a regulated position.  Tony Gavelis volunteered to contact the Secretary of State’s office to inquire about this.

Next Meeting Date

            It was agreed to move the date of the next meeting from the usual 2nd Monday of the month due to the US Open, to the 3rd Wednesday, August 15th, 7:30 PM at the Natick Senior Center.


Motion_2001-07_ 1

            Eldridge, Frymer 2nd

Passed:  9 – 0 – 0


Hit Counter